The Pathology Research Core facilitates the COCVD projects by providing equipment and technical expertise to embed and section tissue specimens and perform chemical staining of tissue sections to be examined, photographed and analyzed chromogenically by light microscopy.
Training in immunohistochemical staining is available. A Shandon Finesse 325 Microtome is avalable for use by approved individuals.
Current facilities include: Microm STP-120 programmable tissue processor, Leica EG1160 Paraffin embedding center, Microm HM355S microtome, MicroProbe Staining System, Nikon 55i Cool LED Upright Microscope with DS-Ri1 12MP Color Camera system, Nikon 80i Upright Microscope with DS-Ri1 motorized stage and fluorescent capability, Nikon Eclipse TE2000-U inverted microscope with color camera system and NIS-Elements Quantitative Analysis Software Package.
Wendy Katz, Ph.D., oversees the Pathology Research Core. Dr. Katz has developed protocols for standard tissue stains and created forms for utilization of this core.
COCVD investigators can request these services by using the PPMS project submission process as follows:
A. For pathology projects -
- Log into ppms.us/Kentucky and select “Path”
- Click on “Request” in the blue bar at top and submit a project request form.
- Drop off samples along with the original paper request form, Pathology Core Request For Services Form
- Fees may be viewed by clicking on “Order” but don’t submit any orders. We will enter the orders as we complete each step of a project.
- For fiscal year July 1 2021-June 30 2022 the COBRE will subsidize 75% of the fee.
B. Pathology Core Microscopes
- Contact Wendy Katz for training and authorization if you are not already authorized.
- Book through PPMS.
- There is no fee for microscope use, but to use the imaging software, the person who made the reservation must log in.
Wendy Katz, Ph.D.
Scientist III Department of Pharmacology and Nutritional Sciences
Room 577, Charles T. Wethington Building
900 S. Limestone Street
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40536-0200